Yousician 2.5.1 (Linux)

Want to know about updates and announcements, this is the right place.

Re: Yousician 2.5.1 (Linux)

Postby vondo_rishi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi ,
I have been using this app for last 3-4 months. Now today it has updated itself without asking me :oops: and after that when launched this app it is not working. Instead the app suggesting me to install this library https://yousician.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210306325 . I have installed the library. But still it is not working . Sometimes launching the app logs out me from my desktop.

We are paid customer, not an application tester. At least any new update should ask users permission. I was happy with earlier version of the software.
Now I can not use it any more.
We have similar experience with earlier updates.
I am an Ubuntu 14.04 64bit user.

Please release your updates by testing yourself.

With regards
Rishi
vondo_rishi

Postby bramgn » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi Bruno,

I was wondering if you got the log files you asked for. I have Yousician working on Ubuntu, so there's no real problem in getting my practice :-) But since my main computer runs Fedora, i'm still interested in a possible fix. It seems i must be missing something small. I tried looking at the logs you asked for, but from it i can't make out what could be missing.

As said, i'm running the XFCE spin of Fedora 24 (like Xubuntu), with these versions of clang/llvm:

llvm-3.8.0-1.fc24.x86_64
clang-3.8.0-2.fc24.x86_64

As mentioned in my previous post, starting the launcher goes well, it fetches some updates, but when the main screen appears, it tells me that my Linux installation is missing some features, with a button that directs me to the "Installing library on Linux" page with instructions on how to install Clang 3.8.0.

Thank you again.

Bram
bramgn

Postby bramgn » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:55 am

Hi Rishi,

I hope I can help you out. I managed to get it working, after scrutinizing the output of strace on the Yousician executable.

What I found out is that in my case Yousician failed to find the necessasry c++ compiler that it needs in order to compile the necessary runtime binaries, the one that the Support page instructs you to install.

Strace output:
open("/lib64/tls/libc++.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib64/libc++.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib64/tls/libc++.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib64/libc++.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

What follows are more errors, showing it can't find compiled versions of its own files, presumable because it failed to compile them, which is only to be expected.

In my case running ldconfig didn't help, because the default ldconfig configuration doesn't include the /usr/local/lib directory, which contains the newly installed libraries.

I checked my Ubuntu installation and sure enough, the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf contains /usr/local/lib.

Since you run Ubuntu, I assume you didn't run ldconfig after installing the clang-llvm package, which should've updated the necessary cache and links.

In my case (Fedora, and possibly other distro's) I simply had to create the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf with the same content as the one in Ubuntu:
Code: Select all
# libc default configuration
/usr/local/lib

After running ldconfig, Yousician was working again.
bramgn

Postby ky0 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi - I'm using Solus OS and the packages requested are not available.
I had a chat with the developer of the OS and he asked why you don't use the following lib:
libstdc++

I think this one is available in all distros.

Thanks,
ky0

Previous

Return to Yousician Announcements and Updates