Advice for beginner on moving from C do Dm position?

Talk about anything and everything related to Yousician Piano here

Moderators: distanceremovedradio, R0

Advice for beginner on moving from C do Dm position?

Postby Gklee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello. I am teaching myself piano starting from ground zero. I decided to pursue the Classical Path and not mess with colors or finger numbering, preferring to begin reading music right away. I started with my right hand on middle C and learned to play those 5 notes (C-G) by sight so that when I would see a C on the staff, my thumb would fire...when I'd see D my index finger would fire, etc.

Now I get to the Dm position lesson and all that is tossed out the window as it has me shift my hand over one key so now my thumb no longer on C.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to learn to play. I'm confused as to which way would be best to learn from here.
Gklee

Re: Advice for beginner on moving from C do Dm position?

Postby Mintmusicace » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:22 am

I also started from scratch around Christmas but decided to use all the help available - finger numbering is invaluable as it shows you how to make just those sorts of moves. Colours are also a great help as they soon 'trigger' the right fingers. Maybe try it with all the aids til you master it then change to the black notes to finish a piece. Good luck
Mintmusicace

Re: Advice for beginner on moving from C do Dm position?

Postby Gklee » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Sounds like a solid idea. Thanks for the advice...I'll give it a try!
Gklee

Return to General Discussion PIANO